Saturday, March 1, 2014

Get to know KiloBavo Part 1 "Why do you want to do movies?"

Well...because movies. 

To be honest, movies have always been a big part of my life. Some of my earliest memories are of movies. In fact, I actually remember seeing KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park (Google that...seriously). I think even then I may have subconsciously known that making movies what what I wanted to do. 

Growing up, my dad worked for the railroad and so he would be gone for days at a time. So as often as was possible my mom would take me and my sister to go see movies. I got to see a lot of movies that a lot of people would kill to have seen originally in theatrical release. And if we didn't go see it, we rented it. Back then we would rent the laserdisc and player and have movie nights. Those were the days. 

As I got older it didn't go away. In actuality it got worse. We finally got cable and had our own VCR when I was a teenager. Plus by then I was going to see and renting movies with my friends as well. 

I believe it was around this time that I started to think about the movies themselves as opposed to just watching the stories they told. I started noticing camera movements, angles, lighting, and special effects for what they were. And then it happened...the moment I put it all together: 
I saw Do The Right Thing and was mesmerized by the infamous Spike Lee dolly shot. For the first time I put it all together in my head. "I can do that" I thought. Although it took years before I actually began to think that I could try to make it a career, it was at that moment that a dream was born inside of me. 

It's funny how things like that work. One minute you're just going about your life as usual and the next POW! life is totally different. And that's how it was for me. I fell in love with it. Everything about it. Storytelling, entertaining people, everything. 

That's all for now I hope you enjoyed a little peek behind the curtain, I'll let you in more as time goes on. For now I'll just leave you with this:

No comments:

Post a Comment